Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Police station

This police station at Račianska 45 caught my attention on my way to the tram stop.












This one has wheelchair access ramps on the right, something I rarely see here.








And more statues, which I seem to see everywhere in this ponderous style . . . . I couldn't find any attributions or dates on these. This is the statue to the left of the main entrance.








This one is to the right of the entrance. I've had some interesting discussions with students about the meaning to them of all these relics from the past. One said that the Communists used to crank out multiples of these statues and install them all over Slovakia, so it's not unusual to see the same things again and again.




NOTE: Click on any image in this blog to see it full-size.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie, you saw very special building - what is now a regular police station used to be communist secret police (ŠTB) headquarters. People in this country could tell stories about that. Erich

Google