Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ambassador's residence

We drove by the residence of the U.S. Ambassador back in September during our sightseeing orientation for the Fulbright program. Today I went back to get some pictures.

This road is the west side exit from the Soviet-built Slavin Memorial, a military cemetery for Soviet soldiers killed defeating the Nazis in Slovakia in 1945. The Ambassador's residence is down the block on the right.









Here's a better view of the residence, with the American flag in front and rounded balconies that remind me of the Truman balcony on the real White House. I knew from our earlier tour that this is heavily guarded with ominous security fences, so I decided not to prowl around too close to the property.


This is the highest elevation in Bratislava. The world's remaining superpowers after World War II knew a good location when they saw it. I took this a little to the east of the residence. The Bratislava Castle is visible in the distance.


Back in September, I said that these narrow winding streets carved into the hillside reminded me of the Hollywood Hills, with those spectacular views of Los Angeles. But there's no snow or ice in the Hollywood Hills! I have seen some evidence of shoveling and plowing after the snow here, but no trace of ice-melting salt or sand to help drivers or pedestrians avoid calamity. I'm glad I'm not doing any driving here -- and I'm sure the other drivers appreciate that, too!

NOTE: Click on any image in this blog to see it full-size.

No comments:

Google