Friday, November 23, 2007

Final preparations

I walked through Old Town this morning to look at final preparations for the big month-long Christmas Bazaar, which opens later today.

Workers use a crane to decorate the tree in front of the Opera House on Hviezdoslavovo námestie as a glass-enclosed nativity set is put in place.










Another worker repaired some missing stones in the intricately patterned plaza. The sign behind him announces the music performance schedule from 4-5 pm on weekends for the next month at the "Old Town Christmas Bazaar."







A shopkeeper perches on a ladder to post the menu at his food stand on the Main Square. I noticed signs that many stalls accept Slovak Crowns, Czech Crowns, and Euros, but no signs welcoming credit cards. I decided to cash in another precious Travelers' Cheques in Euros so I had currency for the bazaar. I bought those last summer when the Euro cost $1.33 and thought that was expensive. Today the Euro hit $1.49 -- and I only wish I had bought more of them.

Another crane lifts workers decorating the tree on the Main Square. Another temporary stage has been set up here for musical performances throughout the month. This will be one busy place!



The sheeting just came down from this newly restored building on Rybárska, the little street that connects the Main Square and Hviezdoslavovo namestie, and a crew of painters is doing final touch-up. I hope the scaffolding comes down soon so I can get a good view of the building.







Every detail is ready for the grand opening later today.









NOTE: Click on any image in this blog to see it full-size.

No comments:

Google