Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Street names

My tram ride to class at the University takes me over a street called Štúrova. Today I discovered where that name came from.





This plaque honors L’udovít Štúr, the politician, philosopher, and linguist who consolidated and codified the Slovak language and identity in the first half of the nineteenth century. This is opposite the street sign.

This square at the southern edge of Old Town is also named after him, with a huge statue in the middle. The building in the center is the Philharmonic conert hall.



This guy is popular! I spotted this plague in his honor on Panska Street south of St. Michael's Cathedral.








I love the way so many streets and parks are named after persons who made great cultural contributions to language and literature.

NOTE: Click on any image in this blog to see it full-size.

No comments:

Google