Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Market Place

I noticed a huge building by the tram stop on my way to the Fulbright office to pick up books and decided to explore. This is right at a major crossroads of Krizna and Šancová, where many people seem to change busses or trams.



The huge Coca-Cola sign can be found all over Bratislava. Smaller booths surrounded the building.





Here's a view from the side, facing Krizna. The sign "Tržnica" translates to "marketplace." I'm having special difficulty pronouncing words that begin with four consonants.







Inside, it turned out to be part farmer's market, part suburban mall, with fresh produce, bakeries, flower shops, candy, cheese, coffee shops, bars, and clothing stores. The absence of signs welcoming credit cards suggested that this is not a big tourist destination.



One of many bakery shops packed with fresh goods.







Several flower stands brightened one end of the building.









Here's an aerial view of the produce section. Before I left the U.S., my doctor recommended that I have the hepatitis vaccine series, just in case I ate some exotic vegetables in rural villages. I wondered if that was a greater risk than the e-coli that keeps emerging from the Central Valley in California, but decided the vaccine couldn't hurt.



My visit came to an abrupt end when a burly guard in what appeared to be a police uniform scowled at me and waved his finger to get me to stop taking pictures. Was he objecting to me taking pictures at all or just of him? I decided not to ask!

NOTE: Click on any image in this blog to see it full-size.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie! We got your card and wow is this blog great! Since we own KO stock indirectly, I have to say go Coca-Cola! -Shaun

Google