Friday, September 14, 2007

Energy Ingenuity

In the U.S., we are reminded regularly that the Europeans are much better than we are at conserving energy – driving smaller cars, relying on better public transportation systems, etc. Energy conservation in the details of daily life seems to be much more ingrained here, whether out of environmental concerns or economic necessity or both, and we could learn a lot from them.

Here’s one of my favorite energy-savers, something I have never seen in the U.S.: a line of taxi drivers waiting for customers, moving their cars forward in line by pushing them, with their motors turned off. In the U.S., drivers would let their motors idle and then inch forward every few minutes with engines running. I have no idea how much gasoline is saved, but it must add up. The exercise can't hurt either.



All the vehicles on the road are much smaller than U.S. norms, from police cars to delivery vehicles to private automobiles.





Recycling bins at the apartment building are increasingly familiar in the U.S., too, although my California city gives us just two bins: Recycle and Trash.





I have a super-efficient top-loading washing machine by Bosch in my apartment. They sell that brand in the U.S., but I don't know anybody who owns one.

This is my solar-wind-powered-dryer (aka clotheslines) on my little balcony off the kitchen. I understand that machine dryers are almost unheard of here, but I don’t know if that’s true throughout Europe.

Here’s another energy saver: walking. Does that also explain why you never see obese people here, especially young obese people, the current American epidemic? Making everybody climb three flights of steps in buildings prohibited from having lifts probably helps too!


NOTE: If you click on any image in this blog, it will open in full size so you can see more detail.

No comments:

Google