Sunday, December 2, 2007

War monument

In October I wondered about the extent to which Vienna had acknowledged and learned from its Nazi past. Yesterday I visited an impressive public commemoration just west of the Sacher Hotel and across from the Albertina Museum.

This was built in 1988 on the site of an apartment building bombed by the Allies. It's a powerful monument, with compelling representations. I don't know why this took over four decades after the end of WWII -- better late than never.


On the north side is this chilling human form crouched on the pavement, covered with barbed wire. It represents the humiliation Austrian Jews endured at the hands of the Nazis when they were forced to scrub anti-Nazi slogans off the streets with toothbrushes.






At the side, the story of the monument is told in three languages (English, German, Italian). This is the English sign, which you can read by clicking the image full-size. I was interested in the repeated tributes to innocent civilians in Austria, along with the victims of the Holocaust. I wonder about the extent to which Austrians, like the Germans, have pondered the issue of whether ordinary citizens were unwitting victims of Nazism -- or tolerant and even enthusiastic supporters.

NOTE: Click on any image in this blog to see it full-size.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Special thanks for posting the dedication/story sign with the excellent pictures. I saw these sculptures in the early 90's and have come to realize that this is one of the few un-sanitized expressions of war and oppression I have seen. My older son was confronted with the rawness of the imagery and asked,"how were they allowed to do this"? I had to think about it for a minute. The best I could do was "everyone involved must have allowed themselves to see the truth.

Google