Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Trip home

The trip home to California from Vienna took almost 24 hours in real time, with a 9-hour time change. Delta operates one non-stop every day in each direction between Vienna and Atlanta. The trip over in September had been over half-empty, so it was surprising that this one seemed almost full. Another surprise: a long line of young boys in blue sailor suits got on this flight together. Yes, the Vienna Boys Choir accompanied me home. We asked them to serenade us, but they respectfully declined.

This was my last view of central Europe as we took off for the U.S.



One of my favorite indulgences at this stage of my life is using my frequent flyer miles to upgrade to first class on long flights. It does ease the pain considerably - worth every mile. This is the first-class cabin on the 767-300ER, the two-class plane Delta uses for this flight.


Here is the view from my balcony in California. For my Slovak students and colleagues, that four-lane road is Pacific Coast Highway (California Highway #1). That's a peek-a-boo view of the Pacific Ocean and, at the horizon, Catalina Island. Would you believe we have buildings here that are over 20 years old!!

NOTE: Click on any image in this blog to see it full-size.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Julie, nice to see your home view finally. Thank you for coming to Bratislava. Erich

Google